~ Heritage GoGo ~

SlideShow

Friday, October 15, 2010

Chung Yeung Festival (Special Event)

Chung Yeung Festival will be comig tomorrow.
Therefore, I want to let you know more about this festival.
Althougt this is not a physical heritage, it has a historial culture.
SO~~ I would like to tell you that what the meaning of Chung Yeung Festival is ?
And what things people will do in that day?
Hope you would like it.

Introduction  
The Chung Yeung Festival (which is on Ninth Moon, Day 9) is a day to respect and remember ancestors, a ritual that is widely followed in Hong Kong among the Chinese community.

Things that people do
Also known as Autumn Remembrance, this festival is similar to Ching Ming in the spring, in that families journey to the graves of their ancestors to perform cleansing rites and pay their respects. They will share the food they bring along, especially Chinese cakes, ko, which is a homonym of the word for "top". Some believe that those who eat these cakes will be promoted to the top. It is also a day for hiking. The Chung Yeung Festival commemorates a Han Dynasty (BC 202-AD 220) legend, which tells how a soothsayer advised Woon King (桓景)that he should take his family to a high place for the entire ninth day of the ninth moon. Upon their return, the Woon family discovered all living things in their village had been slaughtered. Today, many Hong Kong families head to the hills to picnic during the Chung Yeung Festival.

Our Sharing
On this festival, I will follow my grandma and grandpa to respect and remember ancestors in Cheung Chau every year. It is because I am the representative of my family. I need and represent my family to do so. I am the biggest grandson in the family; I have the responsibility to participate. I think that Chung Yeung Festival is one of our gathering moments; it is because some of our family members not lived in Cheung Chau, but they will come back at this moment and we go to mountain together. I think our family member around 20-30persons each time. Yes, I am come from the big family. Ha! Ha! We will go to the mountain with lots of things, for example, chicken, rice, fruit, drinks, rice wine etc. those are the things which my great-grandfather and great-grandmother like to eat in their be living. Actually, I very like this festival; it’s because I can meet my family members and do some exercises to get more heavily body.
-----Change Kwok

For me, Chung Yeung Festival is not a sad day. At that day, my parent would go up to the hill in the morning and do somethings to expree respecting for our forerunners. I seldom go with them because when i was young, my parent didn't want to take care of us and they didn't bring me and my 3 sister to there. Therefoe, this situation is until now^^. However, after finishing the respecting ceremony, our family would have a gathering in "Ming Sing Restaurant". We go there for gathering every year at that day.^^ After the gathering, we may plan somethings to do with the family relative. For example, we may play badminton or play cards etc. Actually, for our family, this day is to improve our relationship with each relatives. We can have a space day for increacing the interaction to know more each other. It is because we are very busy for the work so we would enjoy this day so much.
--- Mable Chiu

No comments:

Post a Comment